OIWC at Interbike,
Sept 22-26, 2008
Check out pictures from the party at:
About the Industries
Outdoor Industries Women's Coalition serves its members in the outdoor, snowsports, cycling and adventure travel industries. But what exactly does it mean to be 'in' one of these industries? How are these industries defined? And where can you learn more about each industry?
Each of these four industries is very different and hosts separate trade-only trade shows at different times of the year and in different locations. While many companies clearly align with one specific industry, others cross into two, three, or even all four industries. However, OIWC is the only non-profit association that is actively involved in each industry.
In general, the outdoor industries includes individuals or companies that make or sell products to be used during outdoor activities, or write about / review products or outdoor destinations, or work to protect outdoor areas. 'Outdoor activities' includes human-powered, non-motorized recreation such as hiking, camping, backpacking, climbing, mountaineering, paddling (kayaking, rafting, canoeing), road or mountain biking, skiing (alpine, backcountry, cross-country, telemark), snowshoeing, and snowboarding.
- Includes hiking, camping, backpacking, climbing, mountaineering, paddling (kayaking, rafting, canoeing), and backcountry skiing or snowshoeing.
- The trade association for the outdoor industry is Outdoor Industry Association.
- The industry's trade shows are Outdoor Retailer, in August and January in Salt Lake City, UT
- Includes skiing (alpine, backcountry, cross-country, telemark), snowboarding, and snowshoeing
- The trade association for the snowsports industry is Snowsports Industries America (SIA)
- The industry's trade show is SIA, in January/February in Las Vegas, NV
Adventure Travel industry
- Includes mountain and road biking
- Has two trade associations, one for retailers (National Bicycle Dealers Association) and one for manufacturers (Bicycle Product Suppliers Association)
- The industry's trade show is Interbike, in September in Las Vegas, NV
- Includes any travel activity including two of the following three components: a physical activity, a cultural exchange or interaction, and engagement with nature
- The trade association is Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA)
- The industry's trade conferences are the Adventure Travel World Summits, at various locations around the globe, usually with one in October